And together we learn

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A perfect, perfect day

It was my birthday!! I love birthdays. Even as an adult, you just feel so darn special to be walking around, knowing that it's your time to shine. Knowing that I could walk into any restaurant and command a free dessert, just by virtue of being born.?It's a giddy feeling.

My darling girls made me pancakes for breakfast, on their own, for the very first time ever. And they fed the little boys and I got to play on facebook. There's bliss right there for you.

Lunch out with the sisters and family people. Huge salads and yummy ice cream. This day was already looking fabulous!

Stephanie came home with me and we talked of weddings and finals and all manner of sisterly things. We had a wild rumpus with the children that ended with a screaming contest (they won), and she fled the bedlam and left me to calm them down. I led the four of them in a nice meditation exercise, complete with deep breathing and soothing visualizations. After many minutes of calm, I used a mellifluous voice to instruct them to open their eyes.

They looked at each other, and without missing a beat, commenced the high pitched shrieking again. Rascals. So much for meditation!

I piled them in the car and we headed for Barnes and Noble. It was such a wonderful drizzly, hailing, thundering kind of day-- the bookstore was the perfect retreat. They played on the train table for TWO HOURS while I sat and read chick novels. Oh yes, I was happy. Then we headed home where I fed them hot cocoa (with marshmallows) and buttered popcorn for dinner. I left all the dishes for tomorrow, and I read books all night.

Seriously, how could this day have been any more fun?

Well, it would have been MUCH better had my darling husband been home, but he was on a business trip. I think we did a pretty good job of living the day well, and now I have all the fun of celebrating again when he comes home!

2 comment(s):

That is such a fun day! I'm sorry I couldn't come home with you and Stephy. It sounds like you had a marvelous time.

By Blogger Andrea Y., at 12:26 PM  

happy VERY belated birthday! I'm glad it went well despite Steve's absence. the meditation thing cracked me up...I've had a very similar response trying that here.

By Blogger Kelly Family, at 4:55 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home